Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mini Jello cakes {Milk Free}

 
This sunday, my son gave me a wonderful idea! He asked if I could make him a cake with Jello gelatin dessert. He chose Berry and Lemon as his preferred flavors and we went to work ... These cakes turned out to be so moist and a bit gooey, which made it easy to mold into whatever shape. I had a lot of fun!! The cake recipe is at the end of the post.
A few things:
  1. Do mix cake batter completely before adding  gelatin
  2. I found it easier to divide batter into equal parts in different bowls to mix in gelatin before pouring into cake pans
  3. I used 5 tablespoons gelatin powder to 3 cups of mixed cake batter { I think using a whole box of gelatin might give a much too sweet cake}
  4. Stir gelatin gently into cake batter with a spatula
  5. You may add some food coloring { I skipped it, hence my "green" looking berry cake }
  6. Used two 8 inch cake pans
 
When the cake was done, I crumbled all of it on some wax paper, patted it down and cut with cookie cutters..He loved it!! The added bonus?:   the colors were his favorite team colors..GO MSU!
 
 
 
 
 
Cake recipe
2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup{2 sticks} butter, slightly softened - I used soy margarine
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1cup milk - I used water
5 tablespoons each of preferred flavored gelatin
 
Mix butter and sugar, till well bended, add eggs one at a time, mix well. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and add to wet mixture, alternating with water. Divide batter equally, add gelatin and
bake @350F for 30-35mins or till tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
 
 
 

7 comments:

Lauren said...

These are adorable! And I love that you chose colors of significance for your son. Thanks for sharing. Found you on Tip Junkie. Cheers.

Adwoa said...

Lauren,
How fun to have you here! :)

Adwoa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking up to AFW. But can you please share with me how these are allergy-free?

Thank you,
--Amber

Adwoa said...

Amber ,
I did not use any milk containing products ( casein/ whey ) free. Thanks for stopping by.

Bakery shop said...

Aww !! it is not only looks nice but I think it also taste good as well. Your recipe is also very easily understandable and cake is very easy and quick to make.

Anonymous said...

What is the filling you put between the cakes?!?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...